Are you wanting to learn about the BEST Asian snacks to get an your local asian grocer? Have no fear, I’m sharing with you my kids favorites as well as my own so you can try these snacks yourself the next time you are in.
Having birthed and raised my kids in the United States, they grew up with some of the best snacks in the world. I would often stop by the Asian grocery store on any given weeknight, and one of these snacks would definitely be in my cart for my family.
For some of the items on this list, you guys may have never heard of. Some of these snacks, you probably turn up your nose at the thought of it. But trust me on this, these are some of the most iconic snacks of any Asian American’s childhood.
This list is just snack items or very quick bites to quench your hunger at the right moment.
So here are a few of my kids and my absolute favorite snacks to get.
If you have never ventured into an Asian supermarket, check out my post here to help you navigate an Asian market for the first time!
The Best Asian Snacks to Find at Your Local Asian Grocer
1. Dried Squid – It taste like beef jerky, but with a seafood flair. It’s a delicious snack alternative that will save you some guilt trip.
2. White Rabbit Cream Candies – This milky syrup candy roll melts in your mouth as soon as you unwrap it! There’s a thin layer of rice paper that dissolves in your mouth as soon as you put it in.
3. Shrimp Chips – These are kind of like Cheetos, but without the powder and with shrimp flavoring. They are baked, puffed wheat snacks that you can’t just eat one.
4. Shrimp Snacks – These are the chip shaped version that are also just as good. They’ve got other flavors, like this one with onion and garlic.
5. Dried Plum Fruit Candy – They make your digestive system better, which is a good thing! Its sweet, and full of gooey goodness.
6. Flour Cake – My kids would eat 3 of these before I had to tell them to stop. They are fried dough (imagine cooled funnel cake), held together by a sugary, clear mixture. They are soft, individually packaged, and easy to eat.
7. Nam Sausage – This is a Lao refrigerated sausage with a pickled pepper included. It’s a cured pork sausage that is light, and flavorful! You can’t buy it on Amazon, so you’ll need to stock up at your local Asian market for this delicious snack!
8. Chay Quay Bread Sticks – You’ll need to put them in the oven for 4 minutes, but they are absolutely.
9. Portable Jelly Cups – These are artificial fruit jellys in cups that my kids would eat and leave the cups laying around.
10. Banh Men – Coconut Melting Moments is one of the most popular snacks served during the Lunar New Year. It has a wonderful coconut flavor that melts in your mouth!
11. Parrot Almond Biscuits – They are really sweet, and absolutely addictive. They are square shaped, sliced almonds on top sprinkled with sugar on the surface of a sweet and crispy cracker. I took a picture of the wrong one, but the right one is the one on the left that says almond!
12. Pork Fu (Formosa Brand) – This is shredded dried pork. I know what you are thinking, but it is dang good. For breakfast, I often made my kids sticky rice and wrapped it around a handful of pork fu. Delicious!
13. Garden Wafers – While you can find wafers at your local western market, the wafers made by Garden brand are thin and provide a lower sweetness than those of American brands. They also come in a large variety of flavors like orange, chocolate, coconut (delicious), lemon and even durian (yes, the stinky fruit).
15. Any snacks really in the refrigerated aisle next to check out. You’ll find delicious, creamy cup snacks that you pour in a sweet cream to mix. These are absolutely a must get when you are at your local asian grocer!
16. Frozen Sesame Donuts – These are the freezer version, but the ones that have the mung beans in them that are served HOT at your local grocer are a MUST have. These are like the third best thing if your local grocer doesn’t have those!
17. Haw Flakes – These are made of hawthorn berries that have a similar taste to cranberries. They are sweet and delicious!
18. Hi-Chew – These are pretty mainstream now and can be found at local American grocers. These are fruit chews that every kid will absolutely love!
19. Beef Jerky – Some of these are “hairy” because they are dried up portions of meat. This jerky is flavored and there is a huge variety to choose from.
There are so many more snacks that I have probably forgotten to mention, so I’ll make sure to continue updating this post so that you guys have the BEST list of Asian snacks that are still around that I know my American born kids loved growing up in an Asian American household.
Asian Recipes You Might Love
If you love this popular Asian snack list as much as our family does, see below for some other recipes. Please write a five star review and help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
- Navigating an Asian Grocery Store for the First Time
- Asian Ingredients & Grocery Haul List
- Best Asian Brands & Products to Buy